Tuesday, June 10, 2008

At long $#%@ing last

One month overdue, and a few fuckups later, the dresser is done. Well, I still have to secure the top to the carcass, but so long as I don't move it in the interim, it should be fine. Here's a pic:



(Note the junk and dust still under it from the previous dresser. I was too excited to get it there, that I didn't bother, you know, cleaning.)

By the way, this is the first image I've put on this blog, apart from my Clint-Eastwood-meets-Steven-Seagal avatar. I've decided it's time I put my camera to use. The Dave Cave is now multimedia!

With tangible results, and it being the 11th of the month, you better believe I'm doing a resolution recap.

Cooking/lunches Suppers have been good; lunches have fallen by the wayside this past week. There's been a lot on the go the past little while, and I hadn't been able to make it to a supermarket. Hopefully after today's Bitters adventure, I should be back on the wagon. The few weeks prior to that went really well.

Housework Good Lord, I'm a slob. Some positives: I've restored the semblance of order in my workshop; I've finally picked up paint for a couple of touchup jobs that have been forgotten about; and I gutted my fridge.

Carpentry As above. Now I need a new project, preferably one that can be completed in 3 weeks so I'll be back on schedule. Maybe a night table to match the dresser. Or a square coffee table for my office. Or, I may just take a break from carpentry, and pick up the slack during the chilly autumn weather (not that this summer has been very balmy).

Electronics Got a Digikey order in a couple of weeks ago. And now that the workbench is no longer riddled with sawdust, tools, and scraps of wood, I can actually get to work. First project of the year: a power supply. Logical start, no?

Piano Still going well. I feel like I'm stagnating, though, and I'm considering taking lessons again in the fall.

Once again, middling success. And with a season of yardwork, shed maintenance, trips to Montreal, two weddings, and hopefully Tyvek'ing the front of the house, I don't foresee improvement till September.

Yikes. This entry started with such promise. I won't have it end sombrely, though, so I'll talk about the weekend.

Saturday morning was the farmer's market. No produce yet, obviously, but the place was still packed, and there was plenty to see. I may just make it a weekly thing, given it's proximity to my house. And then that evening was pretty damn good. Started at Ginny's for some awesome curry. Went to the Grapevine to meet up with some other folks, including this new fella who's doing a folklore degree (I know a disproportionate number of folklore grad students). So, of course, we had to get him screeched in. Vokey wasn't at Christian's, so he got a lesser ritual, but still got the certificate to prove it. Then to the Republic to finish it all off. Guinness ain't a good closing drink... makes one a bit logy.

And Sunday we went for a hike around Bay Bulls and Witless Bay. It was nice to breathe in the sea air and the smell of woods and bog. It's got me wanting another...

4 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

Your dresser is glorious! :D

5:49 p.m.  
Blogger Ginny said...

Don't hype up the curry too much there, Dave!

The dresser looks great!

5:51 p.m.  
Blogger Dave Green said...

Thanks, ladies!

9:11 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a swell looking dresser! What a craftsman you've turned to be.

~Paul

Tyvek on the the front of your house? Are you putting up new clat board?

1:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home