Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Of Wood Heating (part I)

Well, the house still stands (for now). Though I was understandably alarmed when, during my first fire on Saturday, I went upstairs to find a thin haze and unpleasant smell. I didn't see any flames, and it didn't smell like smoke, so I refrained from calling the fire department, and instead called the installer. Apparently it's just the paint curing, and the dust vapourizing from the brickwork after God-only-knows how many years of dormancy. Sure enough, last night, the smell had lessened and the haze vanished.

After 2 hours of burning, it was actually warmer downstairs than up. If I can find a source of scrap wood, I should be able to put a significant dent in the ~$2000 heating bill.

Build Workbench

Got it done, less nailing the top board on. It was late and I didn't want to be that arsehole who nails at 11:30. Total cost was ~$35.

This is going to trigger an avalanche of shit I can get done now: my office is going to be transformed into a workshop, and I'm going to move my computer and stuff into the "spare room" which will become the new office. The bed will be disassembled, so if ya wanna crash here, get used to couches, rugs, and bathtubs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home