Friday, June 20, 2008

LCD Bliss

So I got a new LCD monitor for work today. And Holy Crap, what a difference. First of all, it has liberated about 400 square inches of desk space (which I can now fill with other crap). Second, my eyes are no longer less than a foot away from the screen. And finally, it's nice no longer having that old Radiation King drying my eyes out and leaving a silhouette of my head on the wall behind me.

This changes everything.

This was one result from my performance review meeting yesterday. The other being the return to my conundrum about pursuing further graduate studies (i.e., da PhD). "They" seem fairly keen on me doing so. The problem is that over the last year or so, I have become less keen on me doing so. But they did briefly mention a kind of fellowship that they offer for this endeavour. Basically, I'd still be an employee, but a student as well, and with only a modest pay cut. I'll have to get in touch with the guy at work who is already doing this (incidentally, a former undergrad classmate of mine), and see if he either advocates or warns against it.

Something to think about (again), I guess...

4 Comments:

Blogger House said...

Re: PhD Conundrum

In terms of the academic requirements, I don't think a PhD at MUN would be too tedious for you -- only 3 courses, if I recall, and comps on your area of research, then your thesis. And if your thesis research can be related to a work project, then it'll be like doing work for a few years and then getting a degree. Then you'd be Dr. Green. Or Dr. G, if you prefer. And you could buy the PhD gown with the floppy hat. (Does MUN have a floppy hat?)

I am curious, though -- why does work want you to do your PhD? Won't that cut into your availability for other stuff? Or do they just want to be able to brag about how many PhD's they have in their employ?

2:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all about the bitches, Dave.

The ladies love the Doctors. They don't care what it's about. Medicine, chiropractic, English, engineering, botany, or whatever, they is all over des Doctors.

Takes it from me, yo. I know.

Dr. B. Smoove

11:23 a.m.  
Blogger Dave Green said...

I could handle the courses; that'd be a matter of knocking them off one per semester. I may look at re-enrolling and taking a course over the fall. Then I'll assess my gumption to do more.

I kinda find the encouragement puzzling, too, since they forbade me from teaching a course over the winter. I guess the more letters-after-name they can put in proposals, the more likely they are to land contracts.

The chief concern for me is how much free time this would eat up. And how much of a salary adjustment there would be. But Rocky (who is doing this) has one kid with another on the way, and somehow manages. Gotta talk to that guy...

12:06 p.m.  
Blogger Dave Green said...

Well, that just tears it, Dr. S. I'll readjust my life course.

PhD, Ho!

12:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home