Thursday, June 26, 2008

This year's reno...

I now have in my possession 300 square feet of clapboard. I'm hoping to get some of that stained over this coming weekend, but it doesn't look like the weather will cooperate. When I get back from Montreal, we (being myself and the contractor I have lined up) should be able to start getting that up, with Tyvek underneath it. (still can't believe that Johnny Cutcorners who flipped the house didn't do this).

Hopefully this will mean fewer (zero?) leaks when it rains with a southeast wind -- the two usually go hand-in-hand... spiteful weather. And no more smelling Gary's woodsmoke from across the street. And, most importantly, fewer BRUTAL drafts in the winter. Might actually get some insulation under the siding as well, which should cut down the heating bill a bit.

If I notice a difference this winter, I may very well tackle the other two sides of the house next summer. Given that I should know the ropes by then, I should be able to go it alone. It'd be nice if the back siding matched the front -- it's a common trick on my street to use cheaper vinyl on the back. I'm also hoping that at least some of the siding we'll be tearing off can be salvaged for siding my shed (which held up quite well without it this past winter).

Sadly, this means yet another summer of passing on my deck extension. The idea is to whittle away square footage in the yard, thereby eliminating the need for mowing. The temptation is huge just to get a ton of mulch and bury it all...

8 Comments:

Blogger House said...

Turn your back yard into an artificial beach! Install some sort of water feature and bury the whole rest of the yard in sand.

1:45 p.m.  
Blogger Dave Green said...

Any suggestion, as long as it doesn't involve mowing, will be considered.

I'm probably going to build a horseshoe pitch at some point. That'll be at least a few dozen less square feet.

Anywhere in Toronto that sells Agent Orange?

4:04 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't need to extend your DeCK. We find it plenty big right now.

Yours truly,

Des Ladies of Georgetown!

1:44 p.m.  
Blogger Dave Green said...

That's true. If I try it and it gets too hard, I might pass out.

Thanks, LoG, for the praise about the size of my wooden construct.

2:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, you have such a long back yard, how about a dual slip and slide water playthings?

A horse shoe pit sounds like the real deal. You should have a big party when we're all back on the East Coast before or after Renée's wedding.

You should also have a work party. I'm sure I can help a bit with putting siding on the shed or something. Do you have shingles on it yet?

As for you deck, as long a you and your friends are enjoying, I say great. If having a bigger deck means that more of your friends and you enjoy, I say good on ye!

~Paul

3:55 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me paul. Me at end of work dey, on a Fryday. Me not spell so good.

3:57 p.m.  
Blogger House said...

Since any suggestion will be considered, what about:

1) bumper cars;
2) jousting range;
3) a bitching miniature train landscape
4) solar panels
5) pool or hot tub

I'll keep an eye out for the Agent Orange.

12:22 a.m.  
Blogger Dave Green said...

I like the train landscape idea. Particularly, I'd like to make it into a Neighbourhood of Make Believe. But then, paying actors to be King Friday, Prince Tuesday, and creepy Lady Elaine could get expensive.

2:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home