Wednesday, January 17, 2007

It didn't, in fact, kill me

So I went for a run last night. My back, by and large, behaved. And this morning there was no backlash (oh you better believe the pun was intended). My running ability hadn't atrophied as badly as I had feared -- I was able to run 2k in 10 minutes, and after a breather, 1.5k in 8 minutes. I felt like I could do more, but decided not to push it after a four month hiatus. Gotta leave room to improve, eh?

And also, since my blog isn't boring enough, I'm going to start tracking my results. My goal is 5k in 25 minutes by the end of February. The metric I'm going to use is a speed-distance product. If I increase either my speed or distance, this number will go up. So, for yesterday, it was 2000^2/600 = 6667 m^2/s. By contrast, the record for the Tely 10 is 16.1k in 47:04, or roughly 91788 m^2/s.

Yikes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiffa said...

Hey Dave,

Congrats for getting back into something that is great for you! I have to commend you. I would not be caught dead running outside in these conditions. I'm very ashamed in that. I used to run out in shorts all winter long back in Grand Bank... maybe that was a bit overkill. Alas, now I'm a gym rat. Keep it up!

10:00 p.m.  
Blogger Dave Green said...

Thanks!

But, to clarify, I'm not running outside in this weather. That would definitely kill me. I go to the Field House, at least until April.

9:17 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

9:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home