Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall is in the air

Indeed, in 30 minutes it will officially be fall, if the yucklers on K-Rock were correct this morning. Fall is actually my favourite season: a statutory holiday every month, crisp weather, and, most importantly, the hockey season starting up.

The weekend involved two very late nights. Friday, Jon and Jess had a few souls in. A lot of wine, beer, and conversation. Always great to catch up with those folks. Afterwards, took a cab to my place for some tea and a 4:30am finish. I very ill-advisedly tried lighting a fire in the woodstove, because the room temperature warranted it. Ill-advised because the chimney has two years' worth of creosote built up in it, and has been dormant for the summer. The house is still standing, so no biggy. I wanted to see how one of my slabs would burn. It's still there, largely unscathed; that's how well it burned.

Saturday night I had Craig, Ginny, and Jenn in for some Thai grilled chicken, which I think was a hit. After we had a few hands of cards, Geoff and his posse dropped by to go to the Georgetown. A most heinous turn of events: there was no karaoke that week. In fact, aside from us there were two other people in the bar, including the bartender. As soon as I walked in, I bellowed out "WHAT THE FUCK!" Craig suggested I work on my quiet voice. So we headed to Stanley's, which was a bit of fun. Stuck around there waiting for my name to be called a second time, and eventually got rotted with it and took off at 3:30am.

I actually did quite a bit of cooking this past week. In addition to the Thai chicken, I made a lentil soup and a beef-pasta bake. Ever since I started bringing bagels to work, and having one in the morning and late afternoon, I have more patience for cooking when I get home from work because I'm not starving to death. In fact, patience has become more of a fondness. In an attempt to encourage this behaviour, I treated myself to a nice set of Henckels knives yesterday. I like this set because it has the sharpening steel, which makes it look like I know what I'm doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home