Monday, September 08, 2008

Not as much labour...

...as only Saturday was spent chopping. The upside: it's all done, save for the few slabs that the Skil saw can't get through. I'm trying to think of a clever way to use those logs as a boardwalk, or some other way to reduce the square footage of my yard.

So it's all (kinda neatly) stacked in about three ricks, and hopefully drying out in time for November (when I intend on moving it into the shed). Not a lot of drying to be had last night, as it piss-poured rain. Not a rainfall that would adequately test the siding reno, though, as it wasn't driven by a strong wind... can't say I'm complaining.

Other productive deeds on Saturday included a dump run to rid the house of (some of) the remaining clutter, and a nice splurging session at Kent where I basically bought a load of hassles. I got the "ingredients" for a crude set of shelves for the storage room, which now has more visible square footage due to the dump run. I also got a vapour barrier for the crawlspace floor, to see if that makes any difference to the heating situation over the winter. Finally, I got some Tyvek for the shed. With any luck, I'll have that sided by the winter.

Now for a recap of the fun bits. Friday we checked out a storytelling event at the Newman Wine Vaults which was pretty fascinating. We followed that up with a trip to Jungle Jim's, where we had to move from our original table owing to a leak and a bulging ceiling tile which caused concern. An early night, for we knew what was about to happen Saturday night...

...which was a gong show. It was Jenn's b-day celebration, so the plan was drinks at Tim's, and then dancing at Peddler's (which is now just part of the Martini Bar). Before all that, we decided to make a gall bladder cake for her. That is, a cake made in the shape of a gall bladder, rather than the disgusting alternative meaning. I think it turned out really well. And according to Dr. Brown, it was roughly anatomically correct.

So then there were the drinks at Tim's, which was fun. Met a few new souls, had some good chats. The turning point was about when we left. Tim pointed out that I had "one shot" of whisky left in my flask, and that I should glutch it back. Mid-glutch, however, it became apparent that this was more than one shot. On the way down the stairs, I almost puked and fell over. Thankfully it was just a dry heave, and I barely broke stride. The way to Peddler's was spent holding it all down.

There was only one sensible course of action after such a warning. But, there was also the Dave course of action, which was to pound five more drinks into me at the club. There was a lot of dancing. Oh hell yeah. I offer an open apology to all the people I showered with rye & ginger as dancing quickly turned into an effort to merely maintain balance. There was a cool down period on the deck, where apparently I did a bit of a strip tease in removing my ponytail elastic (memory of this = 0).

I'm very glad Ginny was able to drive myself and others home. Better than my other plan which was probably to pass out in a gutter on Queen's Road.

So I woke up the next morning in time to usher at church. And I managed to pull it off somehow. Afterwards I headed to Andrea's grand opening of her new belly dance centre. There I received my first psychic reading, which had some eerie elements of truth to it. And then there were the elements of how I had to "get out more and have fun" and of how I was "in control". Both of which were kind of negated by the above anecdote. The rest of the afternoon was spent at Don's with Ginny, Craig, and Jenn watching the football game.

And that's pretty well it. I've noticed my posts are getting longer, either because I'm doing more, or I'm getting better at fleshing stuff out. *shrug*

4 Comments:

Blogger Ginny said...

What were the eerie elements of truth?

And, likely, you would have gotten home either way because, if I hadn't driven Jenn's car, we would have been walking, and I know I would have made sure you got home OK. (Or, at least, I would tend to think I would have made sure of this...)

10:03 p.m.  
Blogger Tiffa said...

I think you're doing more. Your life is getting so interesting! I wish I had been there for all of the above scenarios. Sounds like a trip. Alas, I don't think I will live up to your drinking capacities come October... considering I am now tipsy after 2-3 beer and drunk on 6. See what Alberta does to a person?

12:18 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Church service after a night of drinking and debauchery is always a tough one. The worst is New Year's Day Mass.

~Paul

4:30 p.m.  
Blogger Dave Green said...

Ginny:

She summed up my work situation over the last year fairly accurately. And a few other things not suitable for a forum such as this ;)

And thanks for having my best interests (e.g., survival) in mind, regardless of the method of delivery.

Tiff:

Your trip here may turn out to be an extensive liver-conditioning session. :)

Paul:

One of my duties is assisting those who need help up the chancel steps. A semi-drunken collapse during that duty, while sickly amusing, could have meant excommunication.

Hmm, all of your initials spell GTP. It's a sign!

12:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home