Monday, September 15, 2008

Mid-September, would we?

Well, this month has been flying. Most likely since there's been lots on the go, both at work and leisure time.

This weekend was pretty tame, which is a welcome relief after last weekend. Friday involved some happy hour eats at the George Street Beer Market, then some bowling. Craig and Ginny met up with us afterwards, having just taken in an Our Lady Peace concert. We then went to Steve's Twin Lounge to take in some very spirited dancing (but not participating, it wasn't that kind of night).

Saturday I tried being productive, so I started building a set of shelves for my storage room in an effort to liberate some square footage on the floor. Midway through, however, I decided to take a break by distracting Ginny from her schoolwork at the Anchorage (new-ish coffee shop downtown, cuz there's evidently a crying need for them). Got back and finished the shelves off, and started putting them to use. The result: a noticeably less disastrous-looking storage room. I may have to put the cat's litterbox up there, as its current location is well within nose-shot (?) of my desk and piano.

That night we had a bonfire at Middle Cove. I tried out some of the aspen slabs for dryness: one burned kinda well, the other two were pretty hissy and steamish. Not that I was expecting them to be bone dry after only two weeks. I had to leave early to pick up mudder at the airport, so I don't know how the other slabs fared (perhaps one of those present could inform me).

And then Sunday, which involved housework. I've found that vacuuming gives me asthma attacks. That's a good excuse not to do it, eh? But I find this annoying. Maybe the HEPA filter on the vaccuum needs cleaning/replacing. After catching my breath, I made some pasta sauce from a recipe I had, and then some chicken parmesan which called for said sauce. Turned out well, I think. And enough left over for lunch today. Finished the evening by going for coffee with Jon, where we ran into Ginny and, once again, distracted her from schoolwork.

It's come to my attention that it's past the 11th of the month, and hence a recap is in order:

Cooking/Lunches Until this above-mentioned bit of cooking, going poorly. Thankfully, I had a really miserable experience at Mrs. Vanelli's on Friday -- not only had the combos gone up by a dollar, the pizza was salty and gross. This memory ought to motivate me to pack lunches. The chicken parmesan has the great properties of being inexpensive, simple to prepare, and tasty, so that it should crack the regular lineup. Good because BBQ season is drawing to a close.

Housework Not bad, really. Only my workshop is a disaster area. But if it weren't, then I couldn't reasonably cultivate the impression that I'm doing work in there, right? I still have a few paint jobs left, notably painting the other rail so that it matches.

Woodworking Wine rack is coming along. Almost ready for staining. And, as mentioned, I got a set of shelves built in an afternoon. I've got to get a push on getting at least a few walls of the shed sided before the snow comes.

Electronics Reminds me of work too much right now. This was the danger all along. Hence nothing to report.

Piano Still going well. Got a couple more pieces committed to memory. Wondering how much space I got left "upstairs" for memorizing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home