Monday, June 08, 2009

Yet Another Monday Recap

While this system does provide regular weekly updates, it does get a little monotonous. And it seems like many of these posts are about home improvement, which is also a bit monotonous, but I'm not changing that for this post :P

This weekend was very industrious. On Saturday, we (being myself and two fellas who know what they're doing) replaced the dodgy back door and dodgy back window. I'm very pleased with both of them now. I got a killer deal on the back door: a nice fibreglass affair with a fancy, but not girly-fancy, half-window. And I bought a huge window for my workshop. I can now jump through it in case of fire (I remember the insurance adjuster giving me grief about that very point). Most importantly: both are airtight. And the back door opens without a tug-of-war, and closes without a bodycheck.

So, that's two more items off my list. Three done, and a fourth (the floors) well on the way. I'm going to arrange a bulk garbage pickup date sometime over the next week to get some of the trash out of my back yard. I've decided that the patio table and chairs that were left behind are too dodgy to consider using. And there's a bunch of other stuff that's gotta go too.

The guys also have a good idea about the front windows. Unfortunately, it looks like they'll have to be popped out and then reinstalled -- properly, this time. The drip caps are missing, as it turns out, compliments of Johnny Cutcorners. And then we'll be able to properly insulate them (I noticed a residual draft coming from them this past winter). The really good news is that it shouldn't cost as much as I had feared. At this point, I don't even care; I just want them done. And if all goes according to plan, they should be done by the end of the month. That'll be fourth item off the list, or, if I get the rest of the floors painted by then, the fifth.

I also got a small shelf for under my kitchen mirror built. Just need to paint it white. I was delighted to see that the unorthodox mounting scheme I came up with did, in fact, work.

Anyways, enough about the productivity. Friday night, Leigh and Sheldon came over to my house for supper. They seemed pleased with the madras chicken I whipped up. And then we spent the evening with a few bottles of wine and a ton of conversation. What an awesome evening -- I'll definitely have to do that again.

Saturday night I was so exhausted that I just flaked out on the couch watching the hockey game. Twas glorious. Yesterday, I went out to brunch with Brad, who is back in town for a quick business trip, and Karen, who I haven't seen in years. That was a load of fun. And then that evening we popped out to the Grapevine for a few drinks and more catchup. Jenn got in that night too, ahead of schedule, so we picked her up at the airport and then came back to my place for a little late-night convo.

A very full weekend, and hence, a very full blog entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home